Sunday, February 14, 2010

An Apology to the People of Washington, D.C.

On February 1, I posted a satiric piece, “Ten Days and Counting,” castigating senator-elect Scott Brown on his lack of accomplishments in the Senate nearly 2 weeks after the election.

As I say, this piece was purely satiric since Brown had yet to be sworn in as Senator. Apparently, the newly elected senator took me seriously and hurriedly had himself sworn in shortly thereafter, just in time to cast a procedural vote stalling the confirmation of an Obama nominee.

Mother Nature failed to see the humor in this situation and slammed the Middle Atlantic states, and especially the District of Columbia, with record breaking snow storms. The district’s schools and most federal offices were closed down while the city tried to dig itself out.

I fear that my blog posting on February 1 was the trigger for this chain of events, like the proverbial butterfly in Mexico who beats its wings and causes a typhoon in the Pacific. Although shutting the federal government down for a few days is probably not the worst thing that could happen, the guilt of disrupting the lives of the good citizens of the District is a heavy burden.

I most humbly apologize.

1 comment:

  1. Mark - I am sure that you will be forgiven. Please don't lose any sleep over it.

    ReplyDelete